Wednesday, May 1, 2013

no APRIL showers MAY bring more laundry: a DIY tutorial

 
April was VERY shy of showers....RAIN SHOWERS!!! :)  I can be confusing!
James and I did indeed keep up on our clean hygiene and showered like normal people. 
I think I even was able to soak in a relaxing bath once in April, so whoohoo for that! :)
No more April, but that's okay!
Here's to MAY!!!
To start the month of right, as now I feel it is officially Spring around these parts,
I thought I would show you an easy DIY tutorial...
 
DIY LAUNDRY DETERGENT
 
This is a great way to help with all the Spring cleaning you and I will be doing, right?! ;)
 
If you are like me and like to be frugal, why not save when it comes to laundry soap. 
We all have to wash clothes, so why not save some CA$H doing it!?  I
 heard about this online and did some researched. 
What if I told you that all you need to spend on laundry detergent is $29..........for a WHOLE YEAR!!!!
HOLD UP!!!!
This recipe could potentially only cost you THAT?!  
I thought it was crazy too, but I am giving it a try and will share about it with you!
 
I have been using this detergent for about 2 weeks, and my clothes are clean & fresh smelling.....
....and I was amazed at how easy it was to make! 
 
What you will need....
 
 
 
The cost break down:
 
2 Bars Yardley's Soap - $2 for both
("Pomegranate Rose" is my favorite scent, but you can use any
"non-ivory" soap or a 14.1 oz ZOTE bar soap)
 
Oxi-Clean (3 lb) - $7.52
 
Purex Crystals (large bottle, any scent) - $8.96
 
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lb) - $2.66
 
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (3 lb 7 oz) - $3.24
 
Borax Detergent Booster (4 lb 12 oz) - $3.38
 
(& 1 cheese grater from dollar store to grate the bar soap) - $1
 
= $28.76 TOTAL
 
Note: You will also need a large tote/bucket & mixing spoon for the process!
 
==================================================================
 
Grab your large 5 gallon bucket.
Pour into the bucket & mix together the washing soda, baking soda, & Borax. 
Pour a little of each ingredient in the bucket, mix, and repeat until all three boxes of ingredients are emptied into the bucket. 
It is very important that all three of these ingredients are distributed evenly. 
Next, pour in your Oxi-Clean & Purex Crystals and mix until well blended together.
Okay, that was the 2 minute part of the project!
The next and final ingredient will take a little more time.
Take your bar soap and shred it with the grater, like it's cheese!!! :)
You can shred the soap right over the bucket, and mix it with everything else every so often, until the soap grating is complete!  That's it! 
 
All ingredients can be kept in your tote or keep some on top of your washer in the empty Purex Crystal Bottle like you see below:
 
All it takes is 1 Tablespoon per load (2 Tablespoons if your stuff is filthy)!! ;)
 
This should last me a year if I wash 6 loads per week for 52 weeks! 
For a household of two, I think it is possible.  If you have more loads to wash, it will probably last less than a year,
but who knows....maybe you can streeeeeetch it to last!
 
I guess, let's touch base in a year and find out, shall we!!? :)
 
MAY your laundry endeavours be clean (& frugal)!
Don't forget to empty your pockets of all the extra cash you will be carrying around!! ;)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment