Monday, June 17, 2013

Dad's Shoes

<<<<...just borrowing my dad's loafers when I was back home in May>>>>

When I was home to visit my parents last month, I woke up early enough to take a short stroll outside.  I threw on my dad's shoes, like I always did, and headed out the door.  It just seemed natural to me to throw on some of Dad's old loafers.  Ever since my feet were the same size as Dad's, I'd wear his shoes.  One of my favorite pairs were his penny loafers.  I would actually wear them to high school with a penny in each front tab.  No matter what people could say, those shoes were worth more than 2 cents!  I think I just felt....I don't know...a little more comfortable when I put them on....maybe even a little more confident!  The soles were worn leather and pretty beat up, but they were soft to my feet....better than slippers.  Dad still wears his loafers a lot.  He even wore those loafers {seen above} this past weekend, when him and Mom came for quick visit.  On Saturday I looked down and thought,
"Of course he wore those! Why anything else!?"  
 
It may sound cliche, but ever since I can remember, I always wanted to do what dad did.  Of course, it's not that I loved him more than Mom, I just had a tomboy inside of me and wasn't quite ready to be a "girly" girl yet!  I wanted to walk in his footsteps:

Dad was a drummer, so I was a drummer. 
(I always watched Dad play drums, every Sunday at church.  He was my inspiration.) 

Dad was outside working on some project, so I was outside working right there. 
(I am one of four daughters, but I didn't mind getting my hands dirty.)

Dad had short hair,.......well, there was a time when YES.....I had short hair, indeed.  
(One moment I had long, red locks, the next I had a mushroom, "bowl" cut.
I think Dad about had a heart attack when he saw me after "the chopping."
I remember saying, "It's okay! I donated it")

...and yes.  Dad wore loafers, so I wore loafers.

 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 Dad, the most important thing in my life that you (& mom) did, that I wanted to do,
was live a life that was pleasing to God.  There is one memory that I am grateful for and will never forget:
I was a little girl.  It was bedtime in our little 9 x 10 bedroom where all my sisters and I slept.  You were reading the daily, bedtime Bible stories you and mom read to us girls every night.  When we were done reading I had realized, in the simplicity of the story, that I needed something.  I needed and wanted Christ to live in me. You had Christ in your heart, and I wanted Christ in mine.  I remember that night that you walked me through a simple prayer and kissed me goodnight.  You told me that I was then "a new creation" and that was the start of something amazing.  I may not have understood that moment in it's significance then, but I did as I grew into a young woman.  As I grew up, your faith inspired my faith, and now the faith that I have is my own.  I wanted to follow in your (and mom's) footsteps, but the decision to walk by faith through Christ is now my very own decision (and has been for some time).  I just want to thank you for being steadfast in your faith and living a life for the Lord.  I have seen it, I have watched it, and I appreciate it. 
 
 ...and the song that I shared with you when I was probably 17:
She Was Watching by Mark Schultz

I Love You!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment